19ft Glasspro or 18ft Alii Kai

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Moi Pia Kai, Jun 17, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Moi Pia Kai

Looking for some advice on a fishing boat to troll around Oahu. Planning on going with a brand spanking new boat. The two choices that are in my price range are 19 Glasspro from Windward Boats or 18 Alii Kai from Starwood Marine both with 4-stroke twins.

Any one have any insights on these boats? 50 or 60 HP? Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha? There is minimal info on-line to research these boats. Which boat will perform better or have less pounding during windy choppy days?

James
  2. Addicted2fishin

Glasspros are no longer in production as of 2006 per Windward Marine. You are probably looking at an unused 06. 18 Ali'i Kai made by Starwind looks beautiful from the outside... I can vouch for that cause I looked it over closely... but quality is not there. Way too much wood for my taste. All it is is a stretched 17'. Force 18 is the best quality boat at the moment. Pm me for more info on that if interested. I fish on all three throughout the entire year. Here's some insight.

19' Glasspros... Wet ride, slight pound, no flush deck, longer length and wider beam makes ride a little smoother than 17 Ali'i Kai in the rough. I own one.

17' Ali'i Kai... Same design just slightly shorter than 18'. Driest boat of all three. Handles rough the best... believe me I fish in 15-30 winds in 6 foot seas and it handles the best... but low sides will take rolling waves, and deep vee will allow front to dip to pick up the ocean and throw it in your face. The 18' doesn't have flush deck.. the one I looked over that is.... and floor is low like in the Glasspros so semi flush deck is not an option also. 17' design is the best. Boat is very easy to handle solo. Tracks the straightest down steep swells and easy to maneuver. My 19 is scary on the same swells.

Force 18'.... Slight pound in chops, wet ride when heading into wind because it throws the spray outwards and up. Best rough water boat due to wide beam like glasspros, high sides preventing rollers from coming over, pointed and high front that doesn't scoop the ocean like my glasspro, and best of all.... Flush deck. What goes in goes right back out... major plus.

Engine choice is all up to you. There is no right or wrong choice. Use dealer service as your main point. They are all good. Only thing i'll warn you on is that Suzuki 60's are way bigger than the 50's. Twin 60 Suzuki on a Glasspros will make sure you end up with your transom under water. Google the weight... mean. Comparable engines of choice would be Yamaha High thrust 50 or 60, Suzuki 50 or Honda 50. My Glasspro has twin Yamaha High thrust 50's and they are perfect. The 17' Ali'i Kai has twin 50 Evinrude 2 strokes and the weight is ideal. Power is awesome but gas is bad. The 18' has to have an extended transom built or bolted on so weight shouldn't be much of a problem. The 18' Force has twin 60 Yamaha High thrusts. To me it is perfect. And this is the boat I really really want for my style of fishing.

If you got anymore questions you can pm me. I was in the process of purchasing one of the 3 and ended up with the Glasspro because it was a deal I couldn't pass up on.

Aloha.
  3. chuck merkel

I do not have experience with Glasspro or Aliikai, but I owned a Force 18 in the early 90's and I agree with RJ's assessment on it. My Force 18 had a 90 horse Yamaha two stroke that really drank the gas. The boat was well built and solid riding. It was definitely wet. I had an open bridge with a bimini top, but it was also available with a hardtop cab.

My current boat is a Force 21 that is now three years old. At the time that I had my 21 built Force Marine was not building 18s, but the molds were still available. I believe that some 18s have been built in the past couple of years.

I do not have recent experience with outboard engines. I am sure that some others will contribute on that topic. I would look hard at warranty length and availability of a certified mechanic or shop for servicing.

I hope this helps.
  4. bigisland12

if you are looking for a force Jim Patterson sold his molds to guy in Hilo for the 18' and the 30'. Prices are farely good. I think its 17,000 for an 18 blank(no engines or electronics). If I had my choice between ali'i kai, glasspro or force i would go with the force hands down.
  5. Addicted2fishin

Sorry the prices are no longer at that. I pm'd him already with a friend's number to talk story cause he keeps in contact with Ani... the builder of the 18. If I had to own one boat and one boat only it would be the 17 Ali'i Kai with extension and twin 40's. The one boat I love to fish on here in Kona is the Force 18.. which I do. A little wet and a bit tougher ride though but the flush deck is the bomb. If the Berdon's got back the mold or Ani built the 17' Ali'i Kai and called it the 17' Ani Kai I'd drop a load of cash for one. But for quality you can't beat the current 18' Force. I just tripped out at the thickness of the fiberglass in the gunnels, hull and transom. Awesome which is why I recommended it. You can run over F buoy and only get scratches on the hull. Do that with a glasspro or Ali'i Kai and kiss your boat goodbye.
  6. KONAGOLD TOO

FORCE BOATS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE 18-21 FOOT RANGE. HANDS DOWN.
  7. Aloha_Marine

ill say this as a outboard motor repair technician ... ppl always look at the 4 strokes i warn them from the beginning 4 strokes cost big $ in maintance but they go with the 4 strokes and fill my pocket in the end with maintance ... i reccomend looking into evinrude etec motors or the mercury optimax 2 strokes you get the same fuel consumption as a 4 stroke the rapid throttle response of the old 2 strokes to boot
  8. rsokolowski

I have owned the 17 foot Alii Kai and if I had to own another boat in that size range I would buy another. Very dry for the size, a sponson on the front would make it even better. Second choice would be the Force, and last choice would be the Glasspros. Glasspros are reputed to be very wet boats. The rumor is that the hull mold was originally used by Alii Kai boats (1970's?), but they said the boat was too wet for Kona (flat water). The Force boats are well built, but the Alii Kai has the best ride. One other thing with Hawaiian boat builders, double whatever they tell you for build time (that way you will have less stress). Good luck
  9. wisebob

That's funny. I've put on a flawless 230 hours in 6-months on a Yamaha 4-stroke without a huge maintenance bill. It also has a 6-year warranty if someting does go wrong. If it costs big bucks to fix, I don't care as long as it is on Yamaha's tab.

In Hilo you can get good e-tec/optimax service because you are around but when I called e-tec shops here on Oahu before I repowered, I didn't get such positive recommendations from the shop owners.

bob
  10. wisebob

Honda is hard to find on Oahu and they are probably the heaviest and most expensive of the bunch.

Suzuki and Yamaha are comparable on a price/quality basis. If there is an extended warranty promotion for like 6 years, choose that one. Either way, stick with Suzuki or Yamaha on Oahu and you'll be fine.

bob
  11. Ill take it

what is your price range ?
  12. Hockey

I saw that you are looking for a brand spankin new Boat with twin outboards. However, there is a 20.5' Edgewater for sale on craigslist that looks to be in the $ that youd be spending. From what Ive heard from current owners, they have a great ride and are built solid.
    Good Luck
  13. waimalu

Everyone raises good points on the Alii Kai and the Glasspro. The one that mattered to me the most was the construction quality. Both the Alii Kai and the Glasspro have a reputation for needing to have the decks and transoms replaced after a few years. When I tap the hull sides of a boat, I don't want to see the whole thing shake and wobble. That has been my experience with the Glasspro boats and the newer Starwind products. Hands down the Force is the way to go. Just supervise the build a little bit and make sure the layup is solid.
  14. popoki

stay away from anything carbeurated unless you can reliably find e-free gas. most people on Kauai love the yamahas but there are a number of suzukis aswell.
    I know of a couple of guys here who had to rebuild there AliiKai's after a a year or two. but they love the ride... also know a hardcore commercial fisherman here who charges with his 23glaspro w/ 60 yamahas.
    there are alot of forces here with every kind of power option imaginable.
  15. East Side

Heard ALOT of bad things about starwind's Radon. Alii kai vs g-pro, i'd run the glaspro anyday......as long as get cabin LOL.
  16. Addicted2fishin

Doesn't the Op already own an Ali'i Kai?
  17. CHRISTINA GAIL

ABOUT THE EDGEWATER...GREAT BOAT ORIGINALLY DESDIGNED BY BOB D. WHO WORKED FOR BOSTON WHALER FOR 30 YEARS. THEN HE INVENTED RAMCAP - NEW WAY OF MAKING BOATS AND LEFT THAT COMPANY AND CREATED EVERGLADES. THE 20 EX THAT'S FOR SALE FLOATS FLAT WHEN SWAMPED AND IS UNSINKABLE. GREAT BOAT. I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE, BUT ENDED UP WITH A 21 ALI'I KAI, DIESEL. THE 17 ALI'I KAI RIDES GOOD FOR A BOAT THAT SIZE. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T TELL STARWIND MARINE TO LAY IT UP BETTER. JUST THINK IF HE USED ONLY COMPOSITE AND USED KEVLAR IN THE LAY UP!
  18. beauchat

I also heard that starwind uses bondo if the boat doesnt come out of the mold perfectly.
  19. Waiohinu Lawaia

Having fished all three many times, I gotta agree with RJ's assessment... For me, it would be the 18' force hands down... My friend just sold his when he got his 25' Radon, I woulda bought it if I wasn't in Cali, or if the boat was in Cali...

RE: E-tec's have only heard good things... Next choice would be high-thrst yamahas, followed by Suzuki's (what we have)... Hondas would be my last choice... Too many problems...