BD Outdoors

Chasing Swordfish in Cabo

It took us a full three-and-a-half days to prepare the boat after the delivery to Cabo from California. The trip down was uneventful, too rough to fish but okay for travelling. Based on what I saw, it actually looks like the local season may be a good one! We had brought down two years worth of spare parts, supplies and filters. Bob Hoose had also supplied us with about 25 Penn reels — new Torques and a bunch of new Internationals. We had to match the reels to rods and spool them up with new line.

Anthony Hsieh, Ron Ashimine and several guests arrived for our first Cabo trip of the season. Anthony also brought two of his daughters, Amanda and Lauren. I spent the night before our first fishing day enhancing all of the satellite shots from Ocean Imaging and laying out the breaks on my plotter. I spent a good hour tweaking the shots until everything lined up as it needed to be. I had some dope that was more than a week old about an area that had some fish, and I was checking out all of the other areas that I knew used to hold.

"We were looking for swordfish — everything else was incidental."

We were also told bait was an issue and I had some lined up for us, at least 25 pieces. A good friend of mine, John Dominic, called and told me about some yellows on one of the local banks. I had heard the fishing was slow but at least we had a place to start.

Our group departed at 6 a.m. and headed to the yellowtail grounds, Capt. Johnnie from the Scrambler decided he would go with us for a day. He's a super fishy guy and I was glad to have him come along.

Unfortunately we only got 10 cabillitos, we also got a hodgepodge of other stuff to pin on the hooks, including grunts, mullet and lookdowns. (There were also a few “can't evens,” as in “Can't even figure out what the heck they are.”)

With the Viking's speed, we made it from Puerto Los Cabos to our spot in 20 minutes. Johnnie hooked the first yellowtail of the day on the first drift, a fish of around 30 pounds. A fog bank was headed at us so we only had time to make about three more drifts. I wanted to get offshore and start looking for swords. Each successive pass looked better than the last. By the final drift the yellows had built up to the point that they were boiling on the sardines we were chumming with. We had a triple on the last drift. We scored seven yellows in about an hour, none under 25 pounds and one close to 35 pounds. The toll was one broken rod and another one smoked out of a guest's hands over the side. I can still see the bubble trail... Still chuckling.